Thursday, October 7, 2010

I Before E Except After C -- Sometimes?

About six months ago, I decided to write a blog on volunteerism. My goal was to work once a week with a nonprofit organization on my own time, and then write about it for one year.

I can't believe I am halfway there. So far, it's been a rewarding if not tough personal challenge. I have met many dedicated people who strive to make the community a better place. I am astounded at the hours people give.

For being a self-described ultimate planner, this project has tested these abilities. It seems I am always struggling to get my gigs in order. Part of this is because I am just not home much. I'm always playing catch up, whether it's laundry or sleep. I am hoping that this fall will give me a better opportunity to get organized.

Today, I will assist with Adult Basic Education and English as a Second Language classes with Huron Valley Schools.

I've never done anything like this before, so I am not sure what to expect. But I do know how wonderful and complicated the English language can be, and I am hopeful that this might end up being a monthly volunteer gig.

3 comments:

  1. You should look into Big Family of Michigan. Based up your way I think. I always wanted to do some work for them but I am mid Michigan and it's a long commute

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project! I bet it's tough work but I'm sure it's rewarding on a lot of levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! And I will look into Big Family of Michigan. I'd never heard of it before. I think I may be with this specific group for a couple of months though...

    ReplyDelete