Monday, December 13, 2010

Lesson Plans

All three of my ladies made it to last Thursday's tutoring session. I was battling a nagging cold, thus, the late blog response.

After working on the resume from the last session, and reading newspaper articles, we did a crossword puzzle. The women did surprisingly well, and I don't know why we didn't do this sooner. Not only is it fun, but it does help the women improve their vocabularies.

We've got some specific work ahead of us for tomorrow. One woman, who struggles with telling stories in detail, was assigned to tell me something about herself. I told her it could be her wedding, a birthday, a death in her family. I suggested she write in in Polish and then attempt to translate in English.

For another student who struggles with writing, she suggested I make some flashcards with single words on them so that she can piece sentences together. Good idea — now, I just have to make the cards up tonight. I'm interested to see what things she can come up with. I figure we could try more crossword puzzles as well.

The class isn't all work though, it's a cultural experience. Thursday, I will be sneaking back in for a potluck to try out some traditional dishes from the students.

With the holidays quickly approaching, it's not always easy to take time out of busy schedules to help out. But later this week, I will post some volunteer opportunities that may be convenient for some to try out. Also, for those still struggling for gift ideas, I'll have some creative giving ways to help out the community.

If you have any ideas, please feel free to send me a message, and I will try to include it.

No comments:

Post a Comment