Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thursday at the Park

Tomorrow I will head to Baldwin Park in Pontiac to help serve food as part of an Oakland Livingston Human Service Agency initiative.

Many children in Pontiac and other economically depressed areas rely on free school breakfasts and lunches. In the summer, though, schools are out. OLHSA administers the USDA Summer Lunch program for children in and around Pontiac, said Adela Knedlik, spokeswoman for OLHSA.

There are forty-two sites, which are open to children eighteen and younger. This means that children do not need to bring paperwork to show that they financially qualify, easing any embarrassment. If the demand for the food goes up, however, the program may require paperwork in the future.

Because volunteers are not allowed to handle food, my job will be to count how many lunches are given out.

Driving through Pontiac daily, I see the need. It's a rough town with high unemployment, but there are people who live and work here trying to make it a better place. I'm interested to do something in the city where I work, and I hope I can do much more in the future.

To learn more about OLHSA and its programs, visit www.olhsa.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment