Friday, September 10, 2010

A Great Reason to Wear Pink

In high school, my best friend's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. One day, she crumpled in front of her locker and sobbed. With her boyfriend on one side and me on the other, we watched emotions gush out of her as others walked by oblivious to what was happening.

Not being able to help someone you care for is one of the worst feelings I have had. Homework stresses, love quarrels, and teen angst are nothing compared to the "C-word."

Her mother, thankfully, did survive after multiple surgeries and treatments. And while I couldn't do much for her then, my next volunteer gig is for her and her family.

I will be helping out at the fourth annual fundraising event with the Pink Ribbon Trailblazers tomorrow morning.

I met Patricia Nolf during a volunteer stint in Oxford with the Downtown Development Authority in July. Dressed completely in pink attire, Patricia asked me if I would be interested in helping out. A breast cancer survivor herself, Patricia founded the organization and ensures that all money assists women in Oakland County.

Money raised goes toward providing free mammograms to uninsured and underserved women. The fundraiser this weekend is a walk, run and bike ride along the Polly Ann Trail in Oxford. Patricia and I have hashed around ideas for what I can do, including registration, giving drinks at rest points and working the auction.

Whatever my role, I'm excited to see athletes of all abilities come together for a common cause — and it gives me a great reason to wear some pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment