Wednesday, September 1, 2010

How Can You Help Fight Hunger?

For some reason, I have three volunteer gigs scheduled throughout September, but I had nothing for this week. After spending yet another relaxed weekend in Northern Michigan, I came back to work feeling like a batch of scrambled eggs.

The upcoming holiday weekend didn't make it any easier to schedule volunteer time, either. I even asked for suggestions through Twitter. I received some suggestions, but none for this week. After searching online and even through the good ole' Oakland Press volunteer listings, I gave up and called Sarah Blight at Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan. It's been a couple of months since I visited Gleaners, and I really enjoyed my time there. I'm looking forward to going back.

This is one of the nice things about having some places that can always use help, while offering flexible hours. Gleaner's is also sponsoring "September is Hunger Action Month: 30 Ways in 30 Days." The nonprofit is asking volunteers to help out, while offering easy-to-follow tips. It even has a calendar on its website full of events to help fight hunger, from golf fundraiser events, to texting donations. It only takes one dollar to make three meals. That's why even though food donations are always needed and appreciated, Gleaner's can get more food with cash because it can buy in bulk.

I've said it before: There is no season for hunger. Please check out the website and see how your time and money can make a difference in your community at http://www.gcfb.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment